Monday, April 6, 2015

The Sounds of a Sausage

Since Kola has left for his permanent home, Tucker has changed somewhat. He’s still the same sausage-shaped furry baby in many ways, but I’ve seen an alteration in a couple of his traits.

For one thing he has become more affectionate, or, rather, asks me to be more affectionate. He frequently would amble over to me, especially when I was in the kitchen, washing the dishes, or putting items away in the cupboards, and rub his fuzzy melon-head against me. Now he does it even more often. He will roll over on the floor and beg for attention, which it is difficult to resist giving. One of his favourite spots is the cat-hammock by the dining table, and when I pass him as he’s lying in that, he will sometimes look up and give a squeal, then revolve on the hammock to tell me it’s head-stroking time.


That leads me into the second change. Tucker is more vocal than was once the case. He will talk to me more than he had, and talk just in general. At soft-food meal-times, I will hear little peeps coming from him, as if there is a tiny factory whistle in him that is announcing that it’s time for dinner. He wanders about discussing things with himself in abrupt cries.


Then there is his singing, which he usually does when I am out of the room. This sounds like a high-pitched version of what I imagine a hippo’s call to his friends sounds like. The ropy poly one almost always ceases this loopy sound when I enter the room, or look at him around a corner, as if it was not meant for me to hear.


That this new - or perhaps ‘increased’ would be a better word - characteristic began with Kola’s departure, makes me think that Tucker is trying to tell me something. Either he is letting me know that the household didn’t need the Floof King (“See? I can make all the noise that long-haired guy did.”) or he is celebrating Kola’s absence. Tucker never shared my fondness for that foster-cat.

Whatever the cause, Tucker has added another, not unpleasant, element to my life. As if I needed my cats to do more odd things.

13 comments:

  1. We think it's the latter. :-)

    It's good Tucker is happier now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. just keeping you guessing. :) Ivy loves to go down into our entry way and do what mom calls her "opera practice" - howling at the top of her lungs for no apparent reason. Mom will call her name and after a few minutes Ivy will come up and give mom the "look" for interrupting. Daiquiri walks around and chirps at different things for no apparent reason as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is great that Tucker is showing a little more personality. The singing sounds very interesting. He probably knows you need a little extra attention right now. Great story.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love when they talk to us and they definitely do. Annabelle is quite a talker, but her voice is so soft that sometimes all I can see is her mouth moving but no sound (well I am deaf in one ear) but I have also discovered she has a high loud pitch when it so meets her need. MOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maybe Tucker is trying to tell you something. Perhaps he's saying. Please, dad, don't send me away too". If someone in my group leaves ( crosses the bridge) the others seem to become
    unsettled and so much less sure of themselves.
    It's as if they fear they will be the next one to vanish from the fold.
    You family has suffered two losses very close together. It's in times like these that Siamese may pull inward, become more aloof. Cami will need lots of reassurance even if she doesn't let you see her fear of loosing her beloved home,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My princess is getting plenty of attention, as are the others. I'm sure they're wondering, in their own way, where the others have gone.

      Delete
  6. dood...we just wanted ta say ...ewe...R....one....kewl....dood !!!

    N keep yur dad guessin....for a few mor dayz at leest !!! ♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well the family dynamics has changed markedly over the last week. I expect Tucker is going through adjustment a bit more vocally! Bless him!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It sounds like Tucker is adjusting to the recent changes.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Poor Tucker, I'd talk back at you too if you called me a sausage or roly poly, :p

    Sounds like he is finding his voice..enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like the photo of Tucker keeping watch on the neighbourhood. I suspect your neighbourhood is in good hands, or paws. Maybe he is seeking answers from you about the changes and losses of his house-mates. From Eileen and Jesssica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tucker likes to look out the front window at twilight time. I'm sure he takes note of everything.

      How is Jessica doing?

      Delete
  11. Sweet Tucker, we bet you are feeling pretty good about your space now! Hope Kola is doing as well!

    ReplyDelete