Monday, April 27, 2015

The Last of Kola

I talked at relative length with Kola’s new person last week. This was an interview for the newsletter of the Lethbridge PAW Society, which took in the Floof King when no one else would, gave him foster-care and found him a new and permanent home.

Kola is fitting in admirably. He became acquainted with the family dog on the car-trip to his new residence. Neither was upset or overly disturbed by the encounter. The dog may have reason to regret his welcome, though, since Kola has taken over the canine bed and, according to my information, appears to develop a fancy for anything his new roommate likes. But those are cats and dogs for you.

My former foster-cat is eating well, and has his choice of spots in which to sleep at night; he alternates between three - depending on the evening, I suppose. I am sure he is enjoying being able to roam about while the house is asleep, instead of being confined to one room, as he was in my home. Kola is receiving plenty of attention, and it’s clear that he is already loved in his new family.

This will be my last update on the Floof King. He has his own life now, a happy life, with his own people. I suspect I won’t hear about him myself any more, but that’s the nature of fostering. He spent nine months under my care, and a small part of him will stay with me forever.



13 comments:

  1. Thank you for the update; we're glad it's such a good one. A tiny part of him will remain with us too--though obviously it's not the same at all, as you were the one actually caring for him for the better part of a year and we're only blog readers. Even so, we won't forget Kola and are delighted he has a wonderful forever home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're quite right about people reading about the cats on blogs growing attached to them. We come to know them through others' writings. Though we cannot feel the strength of emotions that their people go through, we do feel with and for the cats and people in the Cat Blogosphere.

      Delete
  2. that is sometimes the hardest part....letting them go and HOPING it works out. but it sure sounds like he got a great family

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the update. I'm so glad to hear that beautiful guy has the loving permanent home he deserves.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We're glad everything is going well for Kola.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy and sad together right now. I hate endings. I really do. But on the happy side I am truly happy for Kola and it does sound like he has found his forever family. Like Kea said a part of him will remain with us as well being blog readers. Did he keep his name? Or do you know if they changed it. May Kola have a very long and happy life.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kola....we R wishin ya well in yur new for everz...de best oh fishes two ewe floof king ♥

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am happy that Kola has settled into his new home and family. They are so lucky to have Kola in their lives. But we will miss him and his antics on your blog. From Eileen and Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  8. Why does your post bring tears. Loss of Tungsten, loss of Kola. It's a bit too much, you know. We wish him the best.
    You thought closing the room was confining him but maybe he saw it as security.. Maybe what you saw as negatives were in some way positives, I believe you knew him best and I believe hewi love o

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sorry, John. Cats walking on my hands.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should see what I type for comments sometimes; don't feel bad.

      From my experience with him, I judge Kola to be excellent at adapting. He will grow to love his new people very soon, and it will be as though he had always been with them. I believe he liked it at my house, but that he will like it where he is now just as much. I worry about him, too, but I think he will be happy.

      Delete
  10. I am glad it is a good update for Kola. I became very attached to him too and will also miss him, but am glad he is happy in his new home.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is such great news. We have been so lax in visiting due to life and its issues it is wonderful to stop by to visit and see that the big fellow has his very own home. You did a great job with this large floof. They can be vexing and infinatly annoying at times but we love them dearly and they grow deep into our hearts.
    Kudos on Kola!
    Timmy and Dad

    ReplyDelete